Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ignorance

Autism isn't contagious. Ignorance is.

Firstly, I would like to bring to attention certain comments left behind on my personal blog when I appealed to friends to do the survey.

26 Nov 2007 02:46:17 am IP: 165.21.155.
serene: u r fighting a losing battle..what do u expect to come of this? autistic people cant get decent jobs because of their disability.
27 Nov 07 01:39:11 am IP: 165.21.154
serene: my definition of 'decent job' is one with disposable income. just give me ONE example that an autistic person can do that earns 1800+ ?u cant
27 Nov 07 01:40:07 am IP: 165.21.154
serene: stop wasting ur friends' time by telling them to do useless surveys.

And here is Jermaine's reply.

jerms: My cousin was diagnosed with ASD and ADHD and he's now an accountant at PWC. Thanks. If you really want another example, haven't you heard of Dr Temple Grandin, shes an author that we studied in Uni, she was diagnosed with ASD but now is so successful
jerms: Of course he underwent intensive therapy when younger. Haha, this is getting all so funny. Serene, you make me laugh at how the word ignorance really stands out so boldly

It's because of people like serene who motivates us to put in this kind of effort in educating the public. This will always serve as a reminder, not just regarding Autism, but with every other type of discrimination. Ignorance and silence does much harm, so it's time to speak up. The lack of acceptance is due to a lack of understanding.

Now for other updates

Mr Brown
Elsie brought to attention some articles written by Mr Brown, and I found some links and other relevant information.
A Mom's Anguish
Little Miracles
With a bit of faith, tears and Robogirl

Other Singaporeans Speak Up
No need to be upset with Mr Brown
Let Mr Brown Speak
Dr Noel Chia
Mr Brown Revisited

Other info
-I also found a TIME magazine article, a book by a local autistic author and info regarding the different learning styles of people.
Inside the Autistic Mind (TIME)
Local autistic Author
Signed Speech
Learning Styles
-Autism Awareness Month in US is APril
-Autism Awareness Week in UK is 1 to 7 Oct.
Here are some articles regarding the current hoohah in UK about a Mr Brown (not the same blogger Mr Brown)
PR-USA.net
Invest in Children with Autism
The Mirror

Youtube Videos
Maybe these videos can help people understand autism better. I found some quite moving.

The Face Of Autism
A video on Quinn, an autistic boy put together by his mother. It details how they found out he had autism and puts in some other facts that can help people understand autism better.

Autism Enlightened
Documentary on autism

Autism Employment Story
A success story of an autistic person being emplyed.

Nathan's Story
This video shows how therapy and his loving parents helped Nathan, shot over a few years. You see a marked improvement in his behaviour.

Teddy
11 yr old autistic boy speaks up to help his schoolmates understand autism better. I think we need to encourage young people to step up and talk about their experience.

Missing Pieces
A music video on a song about autism with the singer talking about autism at the beginning of the clip.

Autism on Dateline Part 1, Part 2
Some tv programme talking about mercury in vaccines. They suspect this causes autism. This is just some extra information that is not that relevant to our cause.

Books ft. Autism
The Out of Sync Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon
Nobody Nowhere and Somebody Somewhere by Donna Williams
Thinking In Pictures: and Other Reports from My Life with Autism by Temple Grandin
Little Ones Have Big Dreams Too: A Guide For Facilitators by Ann Donoghue Dillon
This last book features a different approach to therapy called Person-Centered Planning, encouraging people o focus on the child's needs and level.

And to all the serene's out there: I may not be a mother of an autistic child, or of a child for that matter, nor do I have any autistic relatives. But at least I do not presume to know everything there is to know about people. So I try to better understand by finding out more.

Everyone deserves a fair chance. If you put others down without even having the slightest idea about their condition, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. You have no idea how they feel, and what they're families are put through.

It doesn't cost anything to be nice. But snap judgements based on inaccurate stereotypes and ignorance does more harm than you can comprehend. And besides, when you say things that blatantly show your ignorance, you just look really stupid. Just thought I'd let you know.

Thassit from me for now. But I think we might have to revamp this site soon and organize it better.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Thanks for writing this blog. I hope more people read it and find out what you are doing.

Im autistic. I also have two degrees, an IQ of 135 and I earn more than my husband. I've never gone to any special programs, therapy or recieved any help in school.

I didnt even know what autism was until a two years ago. Perhaps if there had been more public awareness and early intervention programs available when I was younger it would have been easier and I wouldnt be struggling so much now.

However, I've been blessed with a great husband, parents and friends who explain the world to me.

I hope that the public can be more accepting of autistic people. I think we have much to offer the world. We sometimes behave differently and we think differently but its not in any way wrong. Many of the world's great thinkers, innovators and scientists have been autistic to some extent. Imagine the world without Einstein or Bill Gates.

Anyway, just wanted to encourage you to keep trying. I'll be telling all my friends to read your blog and fill out your survey.

I also tell people that Im autistic. Im not ashamed of it. I dont use it as an excuse but as a plan for action. And I use it to explain to people what autism is and to widen their definintion what is possible for autistic people.

Autism Awareness said...

Hi Ellen, thank you so much for speaking up. It's a great encouragment to all of us who are trying to get this together. You are proof, living proof that we are not doing this is vain.

I feel that people have much to learn from people with autism. And I agree that autistics ahve much to offer as well. This is the beauty of life, with all its nuances and variations. :)

If you don't mind, please drop me an email. I would like to speak with you about sharing your comment or story to others. Thank you Ellen, and I wish you all the best!

Daphne